We have instituted many programs at UNM to ensure your safety while on campus, but safety really begins with you. The following are some tips to help protect you from crime:
- Avoid walking alone at night. Make arrangements to walk in groups and in well-lit areas.
- Take advantage of UNM's security escort service between 4pm and 7am (505-277-2241).
- Walk purposefully, look confident and trust your instincts. Be aware of your surroundings and don't be distracted by cell phones, iPods or other electronics.
- If you need help, use one of the blue light emergency assistance phones located throughout campus.
- Never leave your property unattended in public places.
- Lock all doors and close all windows when leaving your dorm or car, even if you're only going to be gone for a short time.
- Remove anything from your car that may look valuable to a thief.
- Have keys ready when you approach your car. Check the car for intruders
before entering and lock your door immediately after getting into your car.
- Secure your bike or motorcycle when leaving it unattended. Use the U-shaped high security lock whenever possible.
- Never post private or compromising information to social networking sites.
- Avoid situations where you could become the victim of sexual assault.
- Enroll in "LoboAlerts" to receive important safety notifications in the event of a campus emergency.
- If you are a victim of a crime or witness any crimes or suspicious circumstances, call UNM Police (505-277-2241) immediately.
Campus Safety Bookmark
Stop by the Dean of Students Office to get a copy this bookmark or print your own.